La Purisima Rebuilt
After the devastation of the 1812 earthquake, Padre Payeras wrote that they would build temporary facilities by "constructing of poles and grass what is indispensable until the earth becomes quiet." (March 1813, petition to Governor Jose Joaquin Arrillaga)
Not wanting to rebuild in the same location as the first mission's ruins, Padre Payeras searched for a new site. The disadvantage of the original mission location was that it was south of the Santa Inez river. This meant that the Mission was cut off from the "El Camino Real" which connected all of the other missions during the rainy season when the rising river levels made crossing impossible. The new location would need to be accessible to the El Camino Real, the terrain more level, and have abundant water.
A small canyon north of the Santa Inez river, called La Canada de los Berros (the canyon of the watercress) would become their new home. The los Berros site offered plenty of water, good soil, and was directly on El Camino Real. La Purisima moved to the new location to a temporary Church built of poles and to thatched-roof quarters.
In planning the permanent buildings, the Padres would veer from the architecture of previous
missions. Instead of the quadrangle which offered protection from invading pirates or during
periods of unrest, from the natives, the new La Purisima would be built in a linear layout.
The supposition is that this would provide escape routes through the multiple doors throughout
the mission on both sides of the building in the event of another devastating earthquake.